The Sattler Theatre opened in 1914 and was built on a site that had been used for other theaters in the past. The Sattler Theatre was comissioned by John G. Sattler, the founder of Sattler’s, a local Buffalo department store. It was designed by architect Henry L. Span, who designed many of Buffalo’s theaters, including the North Park Theatre, which is still in use.
The 928 seat Sattler opened as a movie theater — it did not have a stage area. In 1920 the theater changed hands and was renamed the Broadway Theatre. Soon after the sale the new owners installed a Marr & Colton 2-manual organ.
The theater closed in the early 60’s and reopened as Muhammad’s Mosque 23 until it was purchased by God’s Holy Temple church. It was used for various religious services until it closed again in 1996.
In 2008, the building was purchased for $40,000 by the Western New York Minority Media Professionals who intend to renovate the building for use as a multi-purpose theater.
One thought on “Sattler Theatre”
Pingback: Urban Ghosts Weekly Link Round-up - Enjoy!