The Paramount Theatre opened as the Broadway Theatre in Long Branch, New Jersey on August 1, 1912. The project was commissioned by theater magnate Walter Reade on the site of an old Episcopal church. The 1,772 seat Broadway began showing plays and vaudeville performances before transitioning over to film.
The Sattler Theatre opened in 1914 and was built on a site that had been used for other theaters in the past. The Sattler Theatre was comissioned by John G. Sattler, the founder of Sattler’s, a local Buffalo department store. It was designed by architect Henry L. Span, who designed many of Buffalo’s theaters, including the North Park Theatre, which is still in use. Continue reading