The Ridgewood Theatre opened on December 23, 1916. Located in the Ridgewood neighborhood in Queens, New York, the 2,500 seat theater was built by the Levy Brothers Real Estate firm. The Ridgewood was designed by famed theater architect Thomas W. Lamb, who is known for the design of many New York area theaters. The Ridgewood was modeled after the now demolished Mark Strand Theatre, which was the first ever motion picture palace.
The Sattler Theatre opened in 1914 and was built on a site that had been used for other theaters in the past. The Sattler Theatre was comissioned by John G. Sattler, the founder of Sattler’s, a local Buffalo department store. It was designed by architect Henry L. Span, who designed many of Buffalo’s theaters, including the North Park Theatre, which is still in use. Continue reading “Sattler Theatre”