Kings Theatre – The Rise, Fall and Rebirth of Brooklyn’s Wonder Theatre

May 27, 2014

Proscenium arch from the balcony, Loew's Kings Theatre.  B&W Image from the Loew’s Collection, American Theatre Architecture Archive, Theatre Historical Society of America

Proscenium arch from the balcony, Loew’s Kings Theatre.

I’m very excited to announce that I’ve partnered with the Theatre Historical Society of America for my first book: Kings Theatre, The Rise, Fall and Rebirth of Brooklyn’s Wonder Theatre. The book will cover the entire history of the Loew’s Kings Theatre from it’s original construction to the reopening late 2014/early 2015.  I’ve photographed over 50 abandoned theaters over the past 5 years, and being able to document one being restored has been amazing. Every visit to the theater has been awe inspiring and I can’t wait to share what I’ve seen with all of you.

Thanks to everyone at THS, ACE Theatrical Group, Evergreene Architectural Arts, Martinez + Johnson Architecture and Gilbane Building Company for all the help bringing this project to fruition.

For more information check out the Theatre Historical Society of America’s press release on the project :

1. May 27, 2014 11:11 am

Reblogged this on M&R by Justine Emma Mann.

2. May 27, 2014 11:55 am

Congratulations!!

3. Kay Chayrigues permalink
    May 27, 2014 12:10 pm

Congratulations, should be a big seller Kay C.
    Gary Martinez is my son in law, so
    proud of him!

4. May 27, 2014 12:43 pm

Outstanding! Can’t wait to read!

5. May 27, 2014 1:09 pm

Congratulations on the book. When we lived in Brooklyn I remember driving by the theatre with my husband more than once and lamenting it’s condition. There are too many places like that here that have been bulldozed over. Thrilled that someone finally recognizes the value of restoring it.

6. Mark Bender permalink
    May 27, 2014 1:39 pm

Matt…when and where can I pick up my SIGNED copy? I am sure that it will be a treasure in my library.

7. May 27, 2014 2:52 pm

Congrats! It’s so exciting that you will be a published author and be able to chronicle the rebirth of this gorgeous theater.

8. May 27, 2014 5:41 pm

Congratulations Matt- what a fantastic opportunity!

9. Linda Van Der Molen permalink
    June 9, 2014 5:19 pm

Matt. I am very excited to hear about your book, and … that you are working with the THS. The Robert “Wonder” Morton theater pipe organ was great part of the theater’s history and understand it is going to be re-installed once the theater restoration is complete. Any update would be “WONDERFUL”!

• June 9, 2014 6:22 pm

Hi Linda – All I’ve heard is that it’s being restored now, and will be installed at some point. I’m not sure when.