Proctor’s Troy Theatre

June 11, 2012
Proctor's Troy Theatre - Troy, NY

View of the Proctor’s Troy Theatre from the side of the upper balcony.

The Proctor’s Troy Theatre opened as the Proctor’s Fourth Street Theatre on November 23, 1914 in Troy, NY. It was designed by architect Arlard Johnson and built by the Charles P. Boland Company for F. F. Proctor. The 2,283 seat theater cost $325,000 to build and was the largest of Proctor’s theaters in New York State when it opened. The building is five stories tall and in addition to the theater, contains space for offices and retail.

Mural - Proctor's Troy Theatre

This mural of Lafayette’s visit to Troy in 1824 was painted by artist David Lithgow.

The theater, as with many others at the time, opened as a vaudeville house, but was later converted to show motion pictures. In the late 1920’s a projection room was added to the top balcony. Later, the middle chandelier was removed to allow for better viewing of the movies. Jack Benny, Bob Hope, Jimmy Durante, Fred and Adele Astaire were just some of the acts who came to the Proctor’s over the years.

View of the upper balcony level.

The Proctor’s Fourth Street Theatre was later added to the Fabian chain of movie theaters and the name was changed to the Proctor’s Troy Theatre. During the 1960’s the theater began playing second run films. When it closed in 1977, less than 40 people attended the final movie screening. A year later the City of Troy foreclosed on the owners and took possession of the theater. Over the years various projects were considered for the site, including a hotel and a new City Hall.

Instead of stairs Proctor’s Troy has a set of concrete ramps that lead to the two balcony levels.

In 2000, the Friends of the Proctor’s Troy Theater was formed to raise public awareness about the theater and to try to restore it as a performing arts center. The Friends of the Proctor’s closed when the building was purchased by Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in 2004. RPI planned to use the building as an office space and a theater, but was unable to raise the funds.  It was later sold to Columbia Development Companies, who currently plan to abate the theater and preserve it until it can be fully restored.

The refreshment stand in the lobby was added years after the theater opened.

Chandelier - Proctor's Troy Theatre

A close up of one of the remaining chandeliers.

Unlike the balcony seats, which are wooden, the seats on the main level of the theater have upholstered backs and are cushioned.

Curtain - Proctor's Troy

A closer look at the curtain.

This ornate plaster work was originally painted gold, but it was painted over when the theater converted to show movies.

main floor Proctor's Troy Troy, NY

View of the auditorium from the main level.

Hallway Proctor's Troy Troy, NY

One of the entrances to the upper balcony.

Upper Balcony Proctor's Troy Theatre

View of the Proctor’s Troy Theatre from the upper balcony.

Entrance to the Proctor's Troy in Troy, NY

The top of the building features two towers each with marble columns and gargoyle like figures.

1. June 11, 2012 9:30 am

a shame how it looks now. Visiting shows in there must have been an awesome time.

2. June 11, 2012 9:51 am

Is there any plans to save this wonderful Theater it would be a shame to let it sit and not go unused as it has for years.

• June 11, 2012 8:03 pm

Yes, plans are in the works to renovate the theater.

3. June 16, 2012 2:42 pm

Reblogged this on Vague Magazine.

4. July 12, 2012 8:20 pm

Yes, we will be getting the theater as soon as developers take out the asbestos and do abatement. This theater is going to come back to life.

5. July 14, 2012 3:39 pm

Loved This Theater! Brings Back So Many Memories! As My Parents From My GrandFather To My Brothers Used To Work There. Hope They Restore This Theater Soon!

6. Marianne Mahr permalink
    July 14, 2012 5:06 pm

I’m so amazed at how in tact it has remained and how beautiful it must have been in it’s day. It’s even more awesome and bigger than I remembered. In the 60s it was dark for the movies and could have used a paint job to brighten it up then. I’m so happy it is being restored. It could be Troy’s crown jewel again. I’m so glad it was not destroyed and very grateful that some good people stepped in to save it.

7. Rich R. permalink
    November 3, 2012 11:34 pm

One of my fond childhood memories during the sixties was a weekly visit to Proctor’s in my home town of Troy. At the time, Proctor’s was showing Disney movies for matinee viewing. My neighborhood pal’s dad was a police officer and he would get us in for free! I remember the theater had (unused) side loges, red carpeted (concrete) ramps to the balcony and the upper balcony seemed very high above the screen. Coming out of Proctor’s in the late afternoon, the city was alive with stores, shops and activity. I no longer live in Troy, but occasionally visit my old home town. I am saddened sometimes by the decline of this old industrial town. I pray for a renaissance in communities, towns and cities like Troy. I hope the old Proctor’s Theater in Troy is restored and becomes a show piece for this beleaguered city. Troy is famous for its colleges, but very few graduates are interested in staying in the community, because Troy is viewed in a negative light. The city of Troy has had difficulty over the last several years competing with more modern (developed) areas such as Latham and Colonie, which feature commuter based businesses and Malls. I appeal to everyone out there to invest in your community. Make an effort to get involved and take pride in your town. Restoring classic theaters (and other historic buildings) like Proctor’s in Troy can be an important cultural and community investment for cities and towns like Troy, NY.

8. Philippe Fourcade permalink
    May 14, 2013 6:42 am

hello matts
    we bought this picture at the Sakura Gallery (the number1).
    Nice to hve the story, thank you, we like your job.
    we hope to see you one time in France.
    philippe Fourcade

• May 14, 2013 10:00 am

Hi Philippe,

Thanks! I’m glad you liked reading the history of the Proctor’s Troy. I’ll be heading to France in the next few years, and I’ll be sure to let you know.

9. May 22, 2013 1:09 pm

Matt,
    Do you know if the curtain is actually a thread-bare and aged piece of fabric, or if it is actually a painted asbestos fire-curtain? I know many theaters from that era have quite elaborately painted fire-curtains.

Either way, it’s an incredible image. I’m quite envious that you got to witness it in person.

• May 22, 2013 1:34 pm

Paul,

I believe it was a painted asbestos fire-curtain. The Proctor’s in Troy is a fantastic space, and I hope it is renovated and reopened soon.

10. Robert L. Bradley permalink
    July 11, 2013 12:45 pm

I saw my first movie there, SINGING IN THE RAIN, when it was on first run.

11. August 9, 2013 3:07 pm

I saw my very first movie (Disney’s The Aristocats) in Troy’s Proctor’s theater. In it’s heyday, it was one of the most beautiful theaters in the United States. I have always dreamed that someone would come along and restore it to it’s bygone splendor. I guess, for as long as it remains standing, I can always hold out hope. Thank you for providing these photos!

1. 10 Incredible Abandoned Theaters Around The USA | The Roosevelts
  2. Proctor’s Palace Theatre « After the Final Curtain
  3. FOCUS ON 2013 CONCLAVE: Proctor’s Theater, Troy | Theatre Historical Society Readerboard
  4. Alfred E. Smith Building: The Lobby Ceiling Murals | Low Bridges: Upstate History