The Stanley Theatre – Newark, New Jersey

This was originally posted on After the Final Curtain’s Patreon. For expanded early posts, as well as video walkthroughs and other exclusive content, you can become a patron at: https://www.patreon.com/afterthefinalcurtain

A close up of the stage and proscenium.

The Stanley Theatre opened on May 26, 1927 in Newark, NJ. It was built for the Stanley Fabian circuit and designed by Newark architect Frank Grad. The theater seated roughly 2,000 people and was built as an atmospheric movie palace with a Spanish courtyard interior. Its facade used Spanish inspired details, including stucco, terra cotta ornament, tile, and wrought iron. Storefronts were incorporated into the South Orange Avenue frontage.

The lobby as seen from the second level.

Inside, the auditorium was arranged as an outdoor courtyard, with architectural fronts, balconies, tile roofs, towers, loggias, grilles, and awnings along the side walls. The ceiling was painted deep blue and equipped for cloud and star effects. The theater also had a Wurlitzer organ for silent film accompaniment. The Stanley opened with “The Fire Brigade”, starring May McAvoy and Charles Ray. In 1928, a stage curtain fire damaged the organ console, and a replacement console was installed.

The theater’s entryway was filled with trash.

The theater operated as a neighborhood movie house for several decades. By the late 1950s, it was no longer operating profitably as a cinema. It was later acquired by Seton Hall University and became Casa Italiana, also known as the Father Vincent Monella Center of Italian Culture. The building was adapted for cultural and social events, including dinners, dances, films, and stage programs. Portions of the seating were removed during this period, but much of the auditorium decoration remained intact.

Water damage covers much of the interior of the building.

In 1986, the Stanley Theatre was listed in the National Register of Historic Places. The nomination cited the building’s architecture and its role in Newark’s entertainment history. At the time of listing, the building retained much of its original exterior and interior design, including the atmospheric auditorium.

The projection booth was largely intact.

The building later became Newark Gospel Tabernacle. In 2004 and 2006, the New Jersey Historic Trust awarded grants for preservation work, including roof repairs, skylight work, and exterior restoration. By 2023, Newark Gospel Tabernacle had vacated the building, and the former theater was listed for sale. In 2025, plans were reported for redevelopment of the site, with the theater building to be demolished and the facade retained.

The Stanley Theatre was demolished in early May 2026.

Adams Theatre

The Adams is one of the 22 theaters in my new book “After the Final Curtain: The Fall of the American Movie Theater.” Find out more here.

View of the Auditorium from the center of the balcony.
View of the Auditorium from the center of the balcony.

The Adams Theatre in Newark, New Jersey originally opened on January 12, 1912 as the Shubert Theatre. It was designed in the Beaux-Arts style by architect William E. Lehman, who also designed the Proctor’s Palace Theatre in Yonkers, NY. The 2,037 seat theater was originally used for theatrical productions, Broadway tryouts and revivals.

Continue reading

The Newark Paramount Theatre

The Paramount is one of the 22 theaters in my new book “After the Final Curtain: The Fall of the American Movie Theater.” Find out more here.

View of the Paramount Theatre from the balcony.

The Paramount Theatre opened on October 11, 1886 as H.C. Miner’s Newark Theatre. It was originally a vaudeville house managed by Hyde & Behman Amusement Co., a Brooklyn based theater Management Company. After H.C. Miner’s death in 1900, his surviving relatives retained ownership of the theater for several years until its sale in 1916 to Edward Spiegel, the owner of the nearby Strand Theatre. Spiegel also purchased the building next to the theater with the intent to use the space to expand the theater. To accomplish this he hired famed theater architect Thomas W. Lamb to do the alterations.

Continue reading

Proctor’s Palace Roof Theatre

View of the auditorium from the balcony.
View of the auditorium from the balcony.

Located on the top of Proctor’s Palace Theatre, Proctor’s Palace Roof Theatre also opened on November 22, 1915.  The Palace was originally used for smaller vaudeville productions before switching over to film at around the same time as its downstairs counterpart.

Two photographs of the auditorium taken almost exactly 5 years apart.
Two photographs of the auditorium taken almost exactly 5 years apart.

After the switch, the Roof Theatre was rarely used and eventually reopened in the early 1960s as the Penthouse Cinema, mainly showing foreign films like Ingmar Bergman’s “Secrets of Women.”


Backstage Proctor's Palace Roof Theater
The stage is littered with debris from curtains and stage lights that have fallen to the ground.

Unfortunately, The Penthouse Cinema wasn’t active for long. The Cinema closed in 1968 after the infamous Newark riots damaged the reputation of the once-respected city.

View of the stage from the main floor.

 

Proctor's palace roof auditorium

Butts on the ceiling Proctor's Palace Roof Theatre
Clouds were painted on pieces of sheer fabric to give the theater an atmospheric feel
Ropes behind the stage at Proctor's Palace Roof Theatre

Proctor’s Palace Theatre

View from the center of the mezzanine.
View from the center of the mezzanine.

 

RKO Proctor’s Theatre opened in Newark, NJ on November 25, 1915 as the Proctor’s Palace Theatre. The architect was John W. Merrow, the nephew of Proctor theater circuit owner Frederick F. Proctor.

The Palace was a double decker theater, which meant that one auditorium was stacked on top of the other, a rare design choice at the time.  The lower, street-level auditorium had 2,300 seats and the upper had around 900.   The space was among the largest and most open in the area, leading the city to use it as the site of it’s 250th anniversary celebration in 1916.

A now antique popcorn machine was left behind when the theater closed.
A now antique popcorn machine was left behind when the theater closed.

 

View from the side of the mezzanine.
View from the side of the mezzanine.

Originally, the Palace was a vaudeville theater. The theater eventually switched over to exclusively movie showings, but the occasional vaudeville show — such as Bela Lugosi’s“Horror and Magic Show”  — still played there.

Shortly before his death in 1929 F.F. Proctor sold his company to Radio-Keith-Orpheum Corporation (“RKO”), and the name of the theater was changed to RKO Proctor’s Theatre.

 

The Palace was closed in 1968 when RKO merged with Stanley Warner, who owned Newark’s larger and more profitable Branford Theater.  The lobby has been renovated and is currently used as a shoe store.  The rest of the building remains vacant and after years of neglect has started to collapse.

Projector room
The remains of the projector room.
Proctors_05
Due to the damage from the collapsing ceiling, almost none of the ornamental details remain.
Scaffolding behind the stage

Top Level Proctors Palace Theatre
View from the top balcony at Proctor’s Palace Theatre