Commodore Hull Theatre – Derby, CT

This was originally posted on After the Final Curtain’s Patreon in 2025. For expanded early posts, as well as video walkthroughs and other exclusive content, you can become a patron at: https://www.patreon.com/afterthefinalcurtain

The Commodore Hull Theatre opened on May 4, 1927, on Elizabeth Street, extending through the block to Minerva Street, in Derby, CT. It was built with a seating capacity of approximately 1,270. The theater was named for Isaac Hull, who was born in Derby in 1773 and later commanded the USS Constitution during the War of 1812.

The building was constructed during a period when smaller industrial cities supported large single-screen theaters. Derby and the surrounding Naugatuck Valley had an established manufacturing base, including brass and metal production, which contributed to a steady local audience. The Commodore Hull Theatre followed the standard design of the period, with a main floor, balcony, and stage area for film exhibition and limited live use.

The theater opened at the end of the silent film era and was adapted for sound within a few years, as synchronized dialogue became standard across the industry. It continued operating through the 1930s and 1940s as a primary movie house in Derby, presenting feature films along with newsreels and short subjects.

Attendance declined during the 1950s as television ownership increased and downtown moviegoing patterns changed. The Commodore Hull Theatre closed on November 23, 1959. After closing, the building was converted for commercial use. The lobby became retail space, and the auditorium was altered into a parking garage.