The Beacon Theatre was built in 1928 and was intended to be a vaudeville house. However, the Great Depression pushed the opening date back six years. The Beacon finally opened as a movie theater in 1934. It was built in the art deco style and was advertised as “the most beautiful theater from New York City to Albany,” and sat 1,100 people.
In the 1930′s the Wonder Bar, a live jazz bar, occupied the area above the lobby. The Beacon closed in 1968 and was used as a church until 1999. The church owners painted the walls purple and sealed off the small balcony area.
4th Wall Productions purchased the theater in October 2010,and plan on renovating it for use as a theater – as was originally intended – with a dance studio occupying the former Wonder Bar space. For more information on the Beacon Theatre see their website at http://thebeacontheatre.org/Home.html